Online live (synchronous) sessions from 16:00 to 21:00 (Madrid time zone).
Live sessions will be recorded. Recordings will be made available to participants for a limited period of time. However, attendance to the live sessions is required.
This course is entitled to teach the main concepts of shape analysis based on three- dimensional landmark coordinates. In this course, you will learn to manipulate 3D models and use them to collect landmark data, take measurements, and to quantify and visualize the main differences in shape.
Graduate or postgraduate degree in Biomedical, Life or Earth Sciences, basic knowledge of statistics. Basic knowledge of Geometric Morphometric is recommended.
A computer (Windows) preferably with a webcam, and a good internet connection.
Click here to see the full Program
Brief Review of Fundamentals of
– How to choose landmarks.
– Generalized Procrustes Analysis.
– Other types of alignment.
– Thin plate spline warping.
Processing Microscribe data.
– Using DVLR to merge two views.
– Using resample to resample a line.
Using Landmark Editor to collect data on
– Sliding semi-landmarks (using R
How to do a precision test on 3D data.
Data exploration: PCA analyses.
– Using MorphoJ.
– Between-group PCAs.
– PCAs in Procrustes form space.
Visualizing shape change.
– Using MorphoJ in conjunction with Landmark Editor.
– Making calculations and visualizing shape
changes in PCA morphospace.
– Calculating PCA scores post hoc.
Data exploration: Regressions.
– Visualizing change that is associated with
Data exploration: PLS analyses.
– Using MorphoJ to mean center (or not).
– Visualizing shape change in Landmark
Data interpretations: Using mean
configurations (PAST) and Procrustes
– Minimum spanning trees.
– Variability within a sample (comparing fossil)
Programs that we will use:
– DVLR (free).
– Landmark Editor (free).
– MorphoJ (free).
– PAST (free).
– R (free, only for sliding semilandmarks, no
previous knowledge is required).
– Microsoft Excel.