This course will be delivered ONLINE: 12 hours of online live lessons, plus 7 hours of recorded lessons, and 16 hours of participants working on their own, with tutored drawing exercises. A good internet connection is required to follow the course.
This course offers a broad introduction to scientific illustration applied to Biological Sciences, and to a lesser degree, Palaeontology.
Practical examples will be selected based on the applicants’ interests and suggestions. This course is of intermediate level, some basic experience with illustration is recommended.
This course is of intermediate level, some basic experience with illustration is recommended.
All participants must have a computer (Windows, Macintosh) Webcam and headphones are strongly recommended, as well as a good internet connection.
- Drawing basics: Halftone rendering, textures, transparency object shadows, reflected light and cast shadows.
- Drawing tools and media:
- Line and ink: Basic techniques, rendering styles.
- Pencil: Basic techniques, examples.
- Carbon dust.
- Examples and subjects of scientific illustration.
- Illustrating plants, animals and geological features.
- Illustrating animals in their habitats.
- References in scientific illustration.
- Use of 3D scanned specimens as a reference for scientific illustration.
- Other sources of information: photography, microscopy, camera lucida.
- Course Fee
- Early bird (until November 30th, 2020):
- 366 € *
(292.80 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- Regular (after November 30th, 2020):
- 476 € *
(380.80 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- Price is VAT included.
* Participants from companies/industry will have an extra charge of 100 €.