This course will be delivered ONLINE: 15 hours of online live lessons, plus 20 hours of recorded classes and assignments. A good internet connection is required to follow the course. The instructor will evaluate and give specific advice on each drawing.
This course offers a broad introduction to scientific illustration applied to Biological Sciences, and to a lesser degree, Palaeontology.
It is also intended to give a hands-on overview of the most current technological advances in the field, such as basic computer graphics applied to science illustration and 3D modelling.
Practical examples will be selected based on the applicants’ interests and suggestions. The course will be focused on how to translate traditional drawings into an improved digital version.
This course is of intermediate level, some basic experience with illustration is strongly recommended.
This course is of intermediate level, some basic experience with illustration and basic knowledge in computer graphics software (e.g. Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator) and in personal computers is strongly recommended.
All participants must have a computer (Windows, Macintosh) with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator installed. if you do not have a licence you can get a temporal trial licence. Webcam is strongly reccomended, and a good internet connection.
- Drawing basics: Halftone rendering, textures, transparency object shadows, reflected light and cast shadows.
- Drawing tools and media:
- Line and ink: Basic techniques, rendering styles.
- Pencil: Basic techniques, examples.
- Introduction to computer graphics.
- Vector vs. bitmap (raster) drawing.
- Bitmap (raster) graphics software: Adobe Photoshop© basics, Main tools, layer workflow.
- The use of colour in digital media: Chromatic diagrams, bit depth, image corrections.
- Vector graphics software: Adobe Illustrator© basics, Bezier-curve drawing, pattern filling, examples.
- Examples and subjects of scientific illustration.
- Illustrating plants, animals and geological features.
- Illustrating animals in their habitats.
- References in scientific illustration.
- Use of 3D scanned specimens as a reference for scientific illustration.
- Other sources of information: photography, microscopy, camera lucida.
- Course Fee
- Early bird (until July 31st, 2020):
- 366 € *
(292.80 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- Regular (after July 31st, 2020):
- 495 € *
(396 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- Price is VAT included.
* Participants from companies/industry will have an extra charge of 100 €.