This course will be taught using a combination of live (synchronous) sessions on Zoom and tasks to be completed in between live sessions on the Slack platform.
This course offers a broad introduction to scientific illustration applied to Biological Sciences, and to a lesser degree, Palaeontology.
Practical examples will be selected based on the applicants’ interests and suggestions. This course is of intermediate level, some basic experience with illustration is recommended.
This course is of intermediate level, some basic experience with illustration is recommended.
All participants must have a computer (Windows, Macintosh) Webcam and headphones are strongly recommended, as well as a good internet connection.
Materials that you will need to follow the course:
Graphite pencils (H2, BH, and B2)
A drawing block (A4)
Grade eraser (if possible)
Stump (if possible)
Calibrated black marker (2 or 3 different sizes, e.g. 0.1 and 0.4)
Drawing paper (thicker than the ones in the block)
A brush, not very large.
Carbon dust or a nail file to make carbon dust from the pencils
A small object in a light color (or light gray)
A vegetable (e.g. a bell-pepper)
Click here to see the full Program
- Drawing basics: Halftone rendering, textures, transparency object shadows, reflected light and cast shadows.
- Drawing tools and media:
- Line and ink: Basic techniques, rendering styles.
- Pencil: Basic techniques, examples.
- Carbon dust.
- Examples and subjects of scientific illustration.
- Illustrating plants, animals and geological features.
- Illustrating animals in their habitats.
- References in scientific illustration.
- Use of 3D scanned specimens as a reference for scientific illustration.
- Other sources of information: photography, microscopy, camera lucida.
- Course Fee
- Early bird (until December 31st, 2021):
- 366 €
(292.80 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- Regular (after December 31st, 2021):
- 476 €
(380.80 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- The price is VAT included.
After registration you will receive confirmation of your acceptance in the course. Payment is not required during registration.