This course provides an overview of the interface between geometric morphometrics and phylogenetics. It aims to give an overview of the different approaches and methods that link the two fields and to enable participants to apply them to their own research problems.
Lectures that introduce concepts and methods are integrated with demonstrations of software that put them into practice right away.
The main emphasis is on mapping shape data on existing phylogenies to reconstruct the evolutionary history of shape diversification, as well as comparative methods that take phylogeny into account.
To enhance the practical approach of the course, participants are encouraged to bring their own data to conduct analyses and discuss results.
Graduate or postgraduate degree in Life or Earth Sciences. Basic knowledge of Statistics and Geometric Morphometrics. All participants must bring their own personal laptop.
We would like to encourage participants to bring along their own morphometrics data, as well as phylogenetic information related to this in case you have it.
Institut Català de Paleontologia Miquel Crusafont (ICP)
C/ de l’Escola Industrial, 23
08201 Sabadell, Barcelona (Spain)
September 9th-13th, 2019
COURSE LENGTH & ECTS
40 hours on-site.
This course is equivalent to 2 ECTS (European Credit Transfer System) at the Life Science Zurich Graduate School and ForBio.
The recognition of ECTS by other institutions depends on each university or school.
Places are limited to 16 participants and will be occupied by strict registration order.
Participants who have completed the course will receive a certificate at the end of it.
1. Phylogeny, trees and phylogenetic reasoning.
2. Brief review of geometric morphometrics (Procrustes fit, PCA, etc.).
3. Mapping traits onto phylogenies: squared-change parsimony.
4. Practice: making/editing Nexus files, mapping morphometric data onto the tree (Mesquite, MorphoJ).
5. Phylogenetic signal, morphometric traits and estimating phylogeny.
6. Comparative methods: independent contrasts.
7. Application in morphometrics: evolutionary allometry and size correction.
8. Practice: comparative methods (MorphoJ).
9. Application of comparative methods: morphological integration.
10. Multi-level analyses of integration: inferring evolutionary mechanisms.
11. Application of comparative methods: partial least squares (ecomorphology, etc.).
12. Practice: comparative methods (cont.).
13. Morphometrics, phylogenies and qualitative characters.
14. Disparity and diversification.
15. Presentations of group work.
- Course Fee
- Early bird (until July 31st, 2019):
- 540 € *
(432 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- Regular (after July 31st, 2019):
- 675 € *
(540 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- This includes course material, coffee breaks and lunches (VAT included).
* Participants from companies/industry will have an extra charge of 100 €.
You can check the list of Ambassador Institutions. If you want your institution to become a Transmitting Science Ambassador please contact us at email@example.com
- Monday to Friday:
- 9:30 to 13:30 Lessons.
- 13:30 to 14:30 Lunch (included).
- 14:30 to 18:30 Lessons.
The class schedule is approximate; it is possible that the content of one day may run into the next and a working day may be longer than advertised.
The course will take place in the city of Sabadell, Barcelona (Spain). Take a look at the venue.
You may stay in Barcelona city or Sabadell. You will find information about Hotels and Hostel in Sabadell here. It takes about 45 minutes by public transport to arrive to Sabadell from the centre of Barcelona city. The place of the course is about 15 minutes walking from the train stop.
Discounts are not cumulative and apply only on the Course Fee. We offer the possibility of paying in two instalments (contact firstname.lastname@example.org).
5 % Discount
Former participants will have a 5 % discount on the Course Fee.
20 % Discount
20 % discount on the Course Fee is offered for members of some organizations (Ambassador Institutions). If you want to apply to this discount please indicate it in the Registration form (proof will be asked later).
40 % Discount
Unemployed scientists living in Spain, as well as PhD students based in Spain without any grant or scholarship to develop their PhD, could benefit from a 40 % discount on the Course Fee. If you want to ask for this discount, please contact the course coordinator. That would apply for a maximum of 2 places and they will be covered by strict inscription order.