This course will be delivered ONLINE: 12 hours of online live lessons, plus 9 hours of assignments. A good internet connection is required to follow the course.
Bash is the universal base programming language of bioinformatics. It is the basic structure for any current bioinformatics analysis, from the most basic to the most advanced computational biology pipelines. This course is oriented to researchers who want to start performing their own bioinformatics analyses, from a very basic level.
The course will cover brief introductions to the different functions, their applications, large text file processing tools, and finally some applied problems. Also, hands-on sessions with will be run to put into practice the knowledge acquired after each session. In brief, if you want to overcome the fear of facing a “black terminal screen”, this course is for you!
All participants must have a personal computer. If your computer is Windows we will send you instructions about how to install a terminal in it. Webcam and headphones are strongly recommended, and a good internet connection.
- Introduction to the Linux Operating System
- General basics
- First contact with the shell (Bash Terminal)
- Basic system commands
- File system
- Why Bash for Bioinformatics?
- Introduction to Bash
- Text editors
- Working with text files
- sed and awk as file processing tools
- Quick commands (“one-liners”)
- My first bash script
- Loops and conditionals (for, if, while)
- Bash applied to solve common problems in bioinformatics
- Problem 1
- Problem 2
- Problem 3
- Problem 4
- Good practices and structure of the programs.
- Course Fee
- Early bird (until October 31st, 2020):
- 374 € *
(299.2 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- Regular (after October 31st, 2020):
- 445 € *
(356 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- This includes the course material (VAT included).
* Participants from companies/industry will have an extra charge of 100 €.