This course will be delivered ONLINE: 9 hours of online live lessons. A good internet connection is required to follow the course.
Whether writing a research grant or inspiring young people to become future researchers, we are communicating science. We are storytelling animals, and the more skilled and confident we are in telling science stories, the more successful we will be in our field. In this online workshop, we will cover how stories are structured and practice transforming our science facts and figures into powerful stories. After attending this workshop, you will be more skillful and confident in storytelling about your science.
About the workshop facilitator
Nichole Bennett researches science communication in the Ph.D. program at the Moody College of Communications at The University of Texas. Her research is at the intersection of science communication, applied theater, and social justice. She also an improv performer, instructor, director, and technical designer and has won three B. Iden Payne awards and an Austin Chronicle Critics Table Award. Through STEMprov, she teaches scientists and tech professionals improv to boost their communication skills (http://stemprov.org). She also teaches improv to neurodiverse youth at through the Building Connections Program. She has her Masters in Ecology, Evolution, and Behavior from The University of Texas. You can follow her on Twitter @choleness or on Instagram at @theawkwardoff.
All participants must have a personal computer, with webcam, headphones and a good internet connection.
- Introductions and getting to know one another
- Naming our science communication goals and audiences
- Transforming science facts into science stories
- Narrative tools and theory for science writing and speaking
- Accessing creativity and getting out of your head
- Keeping an audience engaged and delighted, reacting off the cuff
- Managing communication apprehension and anxiety
- Change directed communication into conversation with connection, listening, and empathy
- Collaborative storytelling
- Course Fee
- Early bird (until July 20th, 2020):
- 189 € *
(151.2 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- Regular (after July 20th, 2020):
- 220 € *
(176 € for Ambassador Institutions)
- Price is VAT included.
* Participants from companies/industry will have an extra charge of 100 €.